Community Education Service

In my city, there is an organization called The Family and Community Resource Centre that runs out of the Alberta Children's Hospital.  One of the things that the FCRC offers to Calgarians is the Community Education Service.  The following is taken from their website:

The Community Education Service (CES) provides parents/caregivers and other community members with opportunities to access free, evidence-informed education sessions and resource materials to address child, youth, and family health and mental health needs.

I have taken a couple of the sessions they have presented and I have been really impressed with the amount of information they pass on to the public in an easy-to-understand way. 

Last night, I attended a session entitled "
Supporting Anxious Children and Teens: From Recognition to Response".  The presenter was thorough and her presentation was informative.  Unfortunately, all of the reading I have done about anxiety and child anxiety in the past year had me over-knowledged (yes, I know that's not a word) for this session and I didn't really learn anything (I should have believed the statement on the registration page that this would be a beginner level session for people with little to no knowledge of anxiety in children and teens).  That said, it was nice to know that I have been on the right track and I haven't wasted time straying from the way I "should" be understanding and coaching Eli through his anxiety.

If you are in the Calgary area, I totally recommend you sign up to receive emails from the Community Education Service.  They let you know about sessions that are available and coming up on a regular basis so that you can choose to attend those that interest you.  You must register to attend the sessions, but they are free of charge, and available to anyone. 


Visit their website here:  http://fcrc.albertahealthservices.ca/ces.php for more information.

Comments

Popular Posts